Our first meeting of 2017 was attended by 49 members, including 3 new ones.
• President Carson Plant reminded us of Five Key Skills For A Photographer:
1 – Know your software.
2 – Get the basics right.
3 – Be flexible.
4 – Study other’s work.
5 – Practice.
• To help fund her trip to Uganda, Patty Arsenault is offering a 2017 calendar that features beautiful nature photos from Rondeau Park. Patty’s mission will build a house, feed a village, support five schools and bring clothing and medical supplies. If you can help her out, contact Patty at firstname.lastname@example.org
• The evening was devoted to learning how some of our more experienced members go about processing their images.
– Paul Schmoldt reminded us of an extremely powerful and free photo editor called FastStone, where he demonstrated how to batch resize, batch rename and create a slideshow. You can get your own copy of this amazing piece of software at www.faststone.org
– Carson Plant showed us a few of the features of Photoshop and a similar yet very capable program for Mac and Windows called Affinity. Available for a one-time price of $69.99, this photo editing software is definitely worth looking into. For more information, check out the Affinity web site and this Affinity For Beginners YouTube video.
– Chad Barry walked us through how he organizes, tags and processes his work in Lightroom. To learn more, see this YouTube video on 10 Things Beginners Want To Know How To Do in Lightroom.
– Dave Noordhoff shared his methods of obtaining the wonderful images he captures in the American Southwest by taking into consideration some of the things that we should all remember when we’re taking photos: Research the location, Pre-visit the location to find the best vantage point, Research the best time to shoot, Consider the best f-stop to capture the sharpest image, Choose the best lens for the job, Will there be any movement in the scene, Know your equipment.
Thanks to all of our presenters for job well done! The pieces of information you shared are valuable learning tools that will help the rest of us advance as photographers, and that is the reason will all come to the Chatham Camera Club.
• Our next meeting will be held on January 24th when Vince Gagnier will present a workshop on How Take Better Pictures In The Snow. Scores from the latest CCC Photo Competition will be announced, with the Novice group showing their Angular photos and the Intermediate, Advanced and Salon members displaying their shots in the Trees category. Catherine Dawson will be featured in What I Shoot, and we will all have the opportunity to bring in some of our favourite prints for display and discussion.
Are you sometimes overwhelmed by photography terms and mumbo-jumbo?
Check out this page that explains
25 Common Photography Terms All Beginners Need to Know